Resisting Entropy

I took a picture of this sign while in Venice
I've always thought that parenting is probably the hardest, most continually challenging  thing I've ever done in my life.   Of course it has its rewards and wonderful moments and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but overall the amount of energy that goes into being a parent exceeds all other roles I've had in life!

The concept of entropy has always fascinated me.  Said simply, its the idea that left to itself, most things will naturally move towards chaos rather than order and beauty.  A garden is a good example of that.... left to its own it will become overgrown with weeds but with care and nurture it has the potential to be breathtakingly beautiful.  Apply that same principle to my son's fish tank, as another example, and you get the idea.  So it is with all of us... without certain disciplines that nurture our body, mind,and spirit, we too will move towards deterioration rather than towards the beauty that lies within us.

As parents, Charles and I continually find ourselves in the middle of situations that require discernment to know how to help direct our kids towards the beauty that lies within them, towards their full, God-given potential.  It requires  intentionality on our parts to help guide that process and a whole lot of dependence upon God to help us guide them!

 Here's  a rock solid truth that encourages me as a parent:  "Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths."

Today I am grateful that we can tap into a source much greater than ourselves  to help us guide our kids towards the beauty that is within each of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment